Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Millennium Trilogy - Lisbeth Salander is like an addiction


Apparently I am at my blogging prime in the summer and at Christmas – when freelancing slows down. Catching up on audiobooks I've listened to in the past few months and I can't not post about a trilogy that I've listened to twice, an addiction that still has me wanting to listen again - and together all three books add up to a formidable 55.5 hours. I avoided the enormously successful Millennium Trilogy (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest) for a long time because sometimes I resist things when everyone is telling me I should do (or read) them. I can be a bit stubborn that way. I'm oh so glad I relented.

Written by the late Stieg Larsson, a writer who died too early of a heart attack without being able to enjoy the success of his books, these books are a compulsion for many lovers of mystery and suspense, or just plain good books. They are harsh - there is no way around that. There is a graphic rape scene in the first book that sets much of the tone for the series. I'm not usually one for graphic sexual violence, but I actually believe this was necessary for the story. I do warn my patrons who I already know may not be OK with reading it, however, but I also reassure them that it is told briefly, in a matter of fact way, and that it is important to the story – but it's by no means all of the story. It's really a series about very smart, strong-willed characters who each, in their own way, refuse to let wrong win over right. Lisbeth Salander, a brilliant, tortured, and socially dysfunctional hacker, and journalist Michael Blomkvist, are both intense characters, and both absolutely compelling.

Award-winning reader Simon Vance does an outstanding job bringing these stories to life for the reader. I have listened to a number of things he's read, and they are all excellent. His female characters do sound a bit breathless and more similar to each other than his male voices, but I can let him get away with it because his voice is like British honey and apparently that works for me.
As with my previous post (Colin Cotterill's Dr. Siri Mysteries) about audiobooks being particularly pleasing when it comes to foreign place and character names, this series also lends itself to audio very well. My mom, who read the books, enjoyed listening to them with me (my second time) because her eyes had jumped around trying to figure out the Swedish pronunciations when she was reading. I've recommended the series to a number of my patrons, and they have all come back to the library thrilled with the stories and devastated that Larsson is no longer around.
I listened to these books on CD as they were not available from the library for download... grrrr! 55 hours means a lot of disc changing!
Simon Vance read the unabridged versions while Martin Wenner reads the abridged version. If you know me you know I NEVER choose the abridged version. That will be another blog post someday.

***I just discovered that Random House Audio is having some issues with their sound clips, and at Audible you get a completely different reader - why would they do this???? They have the perfect reader already!

If the sound sample gods are with me right now, you can listen to a sample of Simon Vance's reading here.


Listen Up!

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, (16.5 hrs), Random House Audio, 2008
The Girl Who Played With Fire, (18.5 hrs), Random House Audio, 2009
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, (20.5 hrs), Random House Audio, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment