Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Seven Realms are an addiction

One of my teen library patrons, Jayden (aka @hunts_alone) got me hooked on The Seven Realms series this past summer. We often like the same types of books so after he pestered me for about a year I finally gave in and listened to the first book, The Demon King, while heading out on my annual 14-hour summer vacation drive from Kamloops, BC to Jackfish Lake, SK. I had a few backup options just in case, but it turns out I was instantly hooked. I listened to the second book, The Exiled Queen, as quickly as I could find it and pretty much dove into The Gray Wolf Throne and The Crimson Crown without coming up for air. Now, having finished, I am a bit lost and I desperately miss the characters (always the sign of a great book or series for me). I wonder what they’re up to. I wonder what their enemies, who are still out there, are up to.

The story of the series follows a group of teens as they are either intentionally, or unintentionally put into situations where they become the new generation of leaders and power players in the queendom called the Seven Realms. Castles, princesses, lords, and wizards engage in battles and endure the restrictions of 1,000 year old rules and traditions. Long bows, short bows, treachery, knives, swords and magic are the weapons of choice as several battles for power erupt from all sides of the story. I could go into more detail but that would take a long time as there are a number of factions and players in this story and most are richly developed with detailed lives, goals, and histories. The relationships are more mature than the ages of these young adults would lead you to expect. All of these main characters, between 16 and 18 years old, must learn to sacrifice teenage stubbornness for adult responsibilities that even most adults would shy away from. At the same time they must question the rules and history they’ve been raised to believe in and face the complex truths in front of them. These stories are really well done and for those who like good fantasy writing, they will appeal to adult and young adult listeners alike. My only complaint is that I wish there were more books and the story didn’t end.

Author Cinda Williams Chima has created a world that is rich with detail and completely believable if you’re a fan of the fantasy genre. Each of the books follows a distinct stage of the story, in a different location, and with what felt like a different pace. It kept the series from feeling monotonous when listening back to back. I can’t recommend these books highly enough if castles and magic, with a nice bit of romance, are your thing.

At first I thought reader Carol Monda’s voice seemed a tiny bit too old for the teens she was portraying, but I quickly realized that these teens were required by their situations to be wise and experienced beyond their years. The voices were all distinct and consistent throughout, and both the male and female voices were strong and compelling. Monda managed to create voices and narration that perfectly matched the style of the story and made me want to listen to more. This is the first time I’ve listened to her read and I would definitely look for more in the future.

I listened to these books on CD and the man who announced the end of one disk and the beginning of the next in the first book (possibly the first two) had a very staccato voice that grated me the wrong way and every time I got to the end of a disc I flinched a bit, but in the last couple of books it was a woman who was much more pleasant.

Here’s a link to the Audible page for The Demon King so you can hear Carol Monda bring the world of the Seven Realms to life.

Listen up!

The Demon King, (15 hrs, 6 mins), Recorded Books, 2010
The Exiled Queen, (17 hrs, 49 mins), Recorded Books, 2011
The Gray Wolf Throne, (14 hrs, 59 mins), Recorded Books, 2011
The Crimson Crown, (17 hrs, 15 mins), Recorded Books, 2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment