Thursday, December 29, 2011

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows – an early Christmas Present


Finding out that the wise publishers at Random House released Alan Bradley's new Flavia DeLuce novel, I Am Half-Sick of Shadows, just in time for Christmas was a nice way to ring in the season. For a few lovely days I was jumping in the car to drive through the snowy mountains to my little library listening to the best Christmas present ever, and the fact that it takes place over Christmas made the whole early present even better.
I Am Half-Sick of Shadows CoverIn this instalment of Flavia's adventures, Flavia's father, Colonel DeLuce has allowed a film company to make a movie at Buckshaw starring the most popular movie stars of the time, over Christmas. The revenue generated by renting the house will keep the struggling family afloat for a little longer.
It always seems that the town Vicar starts these murderous scenarios when he comes up with a plan to raise funds for the church. This time he plots to have the movie stars perform a Shakespearean vignette in the main hall at Buckshaw on Christmas Eve. Of course, as you can well imagine, hidden relationships, a snowstorm that leaves everyone trapped, and a scandalous murder, are really the presents under the tree. Add in the fact that Flavia's older sisters have taunted her with the notion that Santa, or Father Christmas as they call him, doesn't really exist, and you have a recipe for a Flavia-styled disaster. While everything else is going on below her, Flavia is in her chemistry lab brewing up two concoctions – an explosive one to create a spectacular fireworks show from the roof of Buckshaw to ring in Christmas Eve, and a sticky one to capture the man in the red suit in the act of delivering Christmas cheer. If you have read the three earlier books in this series, you know where those plans are heading!
I think this was my favourite of the books, although I really love them all. Jayne Entwistle's reading is as fantastic as ever, and I even think she produced an even richer rendition of Flavia and her world than in the earlier books, which would be hard to do because the voices were already so original, consistent, and perfectly suited to their characters.  
So, now that I've enjoyed a Christmas murder at Buckshaw, I must wait for more from Mr. Bradley and Ms. Entwistle. This will be a challenge, but definitely worth the wait!
If you haven't yet read the first three books, go and do so now!
They are:
I downloaded I Am Half-Sick of Shadows from Library to Go. Check out this delightful soundbite for a sample of Flavia DeLuce!

Listen Up!
I Am Half-Sick of Shadows, (7 hrs: 24 min), Random House Audio, (2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment