Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Oracles of Delphi Keep

OK, time to catch up a bit here. Apparently if I think about writing, it doesn't actually happen. It seems one must actually write. Freelance writing doesn't count, either! 
I listened to the Oracles of Delphi Keep by Victoria Laurie last summer while I was on holiday in Saskatchewan. I was surprised to learn that the reader was Susan Duerden, who I had just listened to in the awesome Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I wouldn't say this was a fabulous book. It seemed a bit disjointed and far fetched, like it was the first third of an actual story and the reader / listener is left with more questions than answers at the end. There were some great characters, mysterious creatures, orphans, a bit if magic, and the threat of World War II (all my usual criteria). I listened to the end and will probably listen to the rest of the series if it becomes available on audio, but I just didn't think the writing was the best and the mythology that the story is based on was a bit confusing. The reading, however, was excellent. Susan Duerden is a compelling reader who brings the main characters of Ian and Theodosia, orphans who are the subject of an ancient prophecy, to life in a fantastic way.

The story follows Ian and Theodosia, two orphans who are as close as brother and sister, living in Delphi Keep, an orphanage near Dover, England in the years leading up to World War II. While exploring tunnels near the famous White Cliffs of Dover, Ian discovers a silver box embedded in the tunnel floor. When he removes it, he unleashes hell hounds and starts a deadly chase with Theodosia, their friend Carl, two of their teachers and a professor travelling through portals to gather ancient objects in order to prevent the end of the world. Sounds simple enough. 

A sequel, The Curse of the Deadman's Forest, has just been released but I haven't come across an audio version yet. Like I said, I will probably listen to it if only to try and figure out what is supposed to be going on.  

I think this is a case of a reader being able to make or break a story, even possibly rescuing it.

I listened to this recording of the Oracles of Delphi Keep on CD.  To listen to a sample click below or visit Random House Audio.





Listen Up!

The Oracles of Delphi Keep, 13 sound discs (16 hr, 45 min), Random House Audio, (2009) 

No comments:

Post a Comment